Cahal Pech is a Maya site located near the Town of San Ignacio in the Cayo District of Belize. The site was a hilltop palace home for an elite Maya family, and though most majorconstruction dates to the Classic period, evidence of continuous habitation has been dated to as far back as far as 1200 BCE during the Early Middle Formative period (Early Middle Pre-classic), making Cahal Pech one of the oldest recognizably Maya sites in Western Belize.
The site rests high near the banks of the Macal River and is strategically located to overlook the confluence of the Macal River and the Mopan River. The site is a collection of 34 structures, with the tallest temple being about 25 meters in height, situated around a central acropolis. The site was abandoned in the 9th century CE for unknown reasons.
Lower Dover will one day be excavated to look much like Cahal Pech is today, as many structures are similar in height, but not necessarily design. The preliminary report is that Lower Dover is much newer that Cahal Pech so perhaps the architecture will differ to a degree. The Ruins are easy to walk and are much more concentrated that Lower Dover which is spread out over much of our 100 acres.
Self guided Cahal Pech tours are easy from Lower Dover, just take the bus to San Ignacio and either walk or take a cab up the hill to the site. Total cost less than $15 per person, not including guide.